Mum Knows Best
The lioness, three cubs in tow,
Observed surrounding scenes,
Much taller than her cubs and so
Would sense what intervenes...
As long as she was calm, at peace,
The three cubs had no fears
And since her love would never cease,
Like her, they'd live for years...
Until the cubs felt danger close,
This time was theirs to play,
As long as Mum was on her toes,
All the livelong day...
To minimise each cub's regret,
She was their warning bell,
Protecting here and now and yet
Their future years as well...
They were her golden legacy,
Defining all she was,
The future lions yet to be
If she escaped such loss...
Of course, there were no guarantees,
Life's such a fragile thing,
Yet everyone on Earth agrees
Each cub could be a king...
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Mum Knows Best'.
More Stephen Gayford poems here:
Comments about this poem (Mum Knows Best by Denis Martindale )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
- Mary-Lou and Warburton Mountain, douglas scotney
- HAIKU 2, Cheryl Griffith
- Collect Call to: F. J. Thomas..., Monk E. Biz
- Bed Time, Michael McParland
- Trepidation, Laura Milner
- Yes September, gajanan mishra
- A RAINING AFTER DROUGHT, Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..
- Illuminating, Mark Heathcote
- Over looking choice, Jessica Dehn
- The Wine Effect, I Am Krakatoa