Mum Knows Best
The lioness, three cubs in tow,
Observed surrounding scenes,
Much taller than her cubs and so
Would sense what intervenes...
As long as she was calm, at peace,
The three cubs had no fears
And since her love would never cease,
Like her, they'd live for years...
Until the cubs felt danger close,
This time was theirs to play,
As long as Mum was on her toes,
All the livelong day...
To minimise each cub's regret,
She was their warning bell,
Protecting here and now and yet
Their future years as well...
They were her golden legacy,
Defining all she was,
The future lions yet to be
If she escaped such loss...
Of course, there were no guarantees,
Life's such a fragile thing,
Yet everyone on Earth agrees
Each cub could be a king...
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Mum Knows Best'.
More Stephen Gayford poems here:
Comments about this poem (Mum Knows Best by Denis Martindale )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Time - I know not, gajanan mishra
- Poetry is For Lovers, Cheryl Griffith
- The Darkest Side - Darkpalm21, Mark Clement Joseph S. Ferre ..
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -30, Ronjoy Brahma
- this is for you, dipstick, Mandolyn Davidson
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -29, Ronjoy Brahma
- Solitary, Claude H Oliver II
- Resolution?, Claude H Oliver II
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -28, Ronjoy Brahma
- can someone pass the pistol?, Mandolyn Davidson