Often you have insulted me in the most subtle way,
Often I have insulted you in the most shallow way,
But what would my life be like without you
And what would yours be like without me?
(Where there are no more conditions,
Being comes to an end).
Foe. My foe!
Because of you I followed the tracks
And understood what I was seeing.
Because of you my substance revived, awakened,
When death nailed our souls.
Oh, yes indeed, you are what I love
Not what I hate,
Precisely those ones
Whom we despised
When we were out in the streets,
Whom we never knew,
Whom we never took account of:
Streaming about ineptly,
Huffing and puffing
Left their mark
On your soul,
They are the cause
Of our mutual aggression.
Oh, that day when we killed each other,
When we saw each other for the last time,
The day when I got the upper hand
And won (perhaps),
Was so terrible, beautiful, dead,
As never before.
And I don't know how life ties its knots,
But it does...
Mimoza Ahmeti's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (My foe by Mimoza Ahmeti )
- honneur, xxx xxx
- Take a bit less, gajanan mishra
- Right To Die, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Block them, hasmukh amathalal
- Milk and wine, gajanan mishra
- Go on learning, Aftab Alam
- quand il pleut, xxx xxx
- How can I tell the truth, gajanan mishra
- A Few Beautiful Poems for Whom, for What…, Hebert Logerie
- Flash trade, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Old Woman, Joseph Campbell
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Peace. A Study, Charles Stuart Calverley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Question, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)