Ella Wheeler Wilcox
When first I looked upon the face of Pain
I shrank repelled, as one shrinks from a foe
Who stands with dagger poised, as for a blow.
I was in search of Pleasure and of Gain;
I turned aside to let him pass: in vain;
He looked straight in my eyes and would not go.
'Shake hands,' he said; 'our paths are one, and so
We must be comrades on the way, 'tis plain.'
I felt the firm clasp of his hand on mine;
Through all my veins it sent a strengthening glow.
I straightway linked my arm in his, and lo!
He led me forth to joys almost divine;
With God's great truths enriched me in the end:
And now I hold him as my dearest friend.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My Friend by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Dwelling In Perfection, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Line to You, Olufayo Ezekiel
- Remedy to Find, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Inner Workings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Colours, Daniel Rimero
- India's Rhythms, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Love! Let's run away from light., SAK Reddy
- Journey Of Ancient Values, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Bless You On This Day, Michael P. McParland
- The Blank Page, David Lewis Paget