MY TWIN BROTHER JOHN
MY TWIN BROTHER JOHN
In shape and size and even color of eyes,
We were so alike one another,
I was frequently mistaken for John,
Who was my twin brother!
When I cried my brother got fed;
And when we both laughed,
Our mother scratched her head!
When we began, to go to school,
Things started getting even worse;
For whenever John forgot his
I was invariably taken to task!
Finally when we both grew up,
And decided we should marry;
It became difficult for me to find
And I really became sorry!
For whenever I proposed to any girl,
Feeling rather lovelorn,
Invariably I found her the following
On the lap of my brother John!
To resolve this issue amicably,
We finally married the same girl;
Though at times she looked confused,
Wondering to whom she should turn!
And the day our son was born,
Our wife became a proud mother;
But don't you try to confuse me,
By asking who was the real father!
Now with time I have begun to age,
And planning to draft my will;
To settle things and clarify doubts,
With time remaning still!
A golden chain I have now worn,
So let all my friends be forewarned!
Should suddenly one day I feel feverish,
And decide to call it a day;
Please don't bury John mistakenly, or let
any doubt come your way!
- Raj Nandy
11 Mar 08
RAJ NANDY's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (MY TWIN BROTHER JOHN by RAJ NANDY )
- Owls or rats, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Jesus, God, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- माँ का सूरज कहीं खो गया, Aftab Alam
- Brother John, Colin Ian Jeffery
- पयादे से मात, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song 2, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- The Saffron Drape, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Highway of Holiness, Terrance Tracy
- Hey Big Guy, My Kindred Soul, Noah Body
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(23 July 1823 - 26 November 1896)
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)