C. Albert Andrews
My Visit To The Country Side
Sounds of cricket and barking dogs
A great reminded of childhood.
Tossing, turning and trying to sleep.
Eyes closed mind wide awake
Recapturing some events that were forgotten.
My life in the countryside is alive in me.
Rays from the sun peaked through the shutters,
Flickering on the bed and walls of my room,
Wind blowing leaves and dust from dirt roads.
Its home again! It feels so real!
Countryside life remains alive in me.
Another day, I rolled out of bed.
Looked outside. Not too much have changed.
After 30 years, that mango tree, still there.
Ha! That old latrine or remains of it, in the back yard,
Barbed wired fence, my childhood boundary.
Life in the countryside remains alive in me.
A slow walk down the old brick road
Land marks still recognisable.
That clay brick church, that mosque that temple!
Still firmly standing.
Older folks, saying 'how-de-do'
My life in the countryside is still alive in me.
As the end approached, something was missing.
Ah that school! Those favourite memories, now gone.
As the charred remains of very few pillars
Stood among uncared for trees.
Tears welled-up, a clear sign, it was time to move on.
My life in that countryside will always live in me.
C. Albert Andrews's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (My Visit To The Country Side by C. Albert Andrews )
- My Baby She's Flying, Little Eagle McGowan
- Change with quality, hasmukh amathalal
- Alone, Emily Krauss
- Hope, Emily Krauss
- Behavior speaks, hasmukh amathalal
- Holding The Sunlight, Emily Krauss
- Good but naughty, hasmukh amathalal
- Cool Storms, Emily Krauss
- Total Cigarette, Emily Krauss
- Nasty Lucy, Is It Poetry
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1644 - 1694)