Robert Louis Stevenson
Night and Day
When the golden day is done,
Through the closing portal,
Child and garden, Flower and sun,
Vanish all things mortal.
As the blinding shadows fall
As the rays diminish,
Under evening's cloak they all
Roll away and vanish.
Garden darkened, daisy shut,
Child in bed, they slumber--
Glow-worm in the hallway rut,
Mice among the lumber.
In the darkness houses shine,
Parents move the candles;
Till on all the night divine
Turns the bedroom handles.
Till at last the day begins
In the east a-breaking,
In the hedges and the whins
Sleeping birds a-waking.
In the darkness shapes of things,
Houses, trees and hedges,
Clearer grow; and sparrow's wings
Beat on window ledges.
These shall wake the yawning maid;
She the door shall open--
Finding dew on garden glade
And the morning broken.
There my garden grows again
Green and rosy painted,
As at eve behind the pane
From my eyes it fainted.
Just as it was shut away,
Toy-like, in the even,
Here I see it glow with day
Under glowing heaven.
Every path and every plot,
Every blush of roses,
Every blue forget-me-not
Where the dew reposes,
"Up!" they cry, "the day is come
On the smiling valleys:
We have beat the morning drum;
Playmate, join your allies!"
Robert Louis Stevenson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Night and Day by Robert Louis Stevenson )
Did you read them?
- Friendship, Afshan Fatima
- Shaking Off The Finger Tip, Is It Poetry
- Golden Glow, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- A Prayer, Nicholas Breton
- Invective: The Hate Of Treason, Nicholas Breton
- Goodbye Elias, Tony Adah
- On The END, Akhil Zoomin
- from Tiburones, Morgan Michaels
- Man Created, Nathaniel Baxter
- I See Words, Naveed Akram
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)