Through deserted countryside
Hiding beneath the trees, breath in ragged gasps -
In the dark heavens overhead, tiny 'stars'
Begin to group and cluster;
Random laser striking electric blue, green and red
Scan above the trees and cast eerie shadows;
Looming silently overhead
Massive darkness pulsates, pulsates.
Barely breathing now, every nerve on naked edge
Huge explosion! Flaming meteors from heaven
Pierce the silent earth at random -
Humans running, falling, vaporized in mid stride -
Screams wrench from frozen throat -
'Help me! help me! '
Instantly aware of surroundings -
Unable to move,
Heart pounding in my ears,
Covers grasped tightly under my chin-
Silence.................. only ragged expiration - inspiration
Expiration - inspiration.
Slowly, cramped fingers release the crumpled blanket,
Deep sigh of relief..................
Only a nightmare -
Hope I didn't wake the neighbors next door!
Linda Ori's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Night Terror by Linda Ori )
- CREDITOR, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Lady Liberty, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Lament Of Many, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Misguided, Donald R Charon
- NATURE'S INFLUENCE, Donald R Charon
- How Was Your Day?, Donald R Charon
- we never did go bowling, Mandolyn ...
- How To Tie The Knot, Foster Teegarden
- hurry husband, shush my alliteration, Mandolyn ...
- Sharp Is The Bite, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)