Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov
No, I'm not Byron; I am, yet
No, I'm not Byron; I am, yet,
Another choice for the sacred dole,
Like him - a persecuted soul,
But only of the Russian set.
I early start and end the whole,
And will not win the future days;
Like in an ocean, in my soul,
A cargo of lost hopes stays.
Who, oh, my ocean severe,
Could read all secrets in your scroll?
Who'll tell the people my idea?
I will or God or none at all!
Another translation by Martha Gilbert Dickinson Bianchi:
I AM NOT BYRON
I am not Byron--yet I am
One fore-elected, yet one more
Unknown, world-hunted wanderer,
A Russian in my mood and mind.
Scant from my seed the corn was ripe,
My mouth spoke young, was early hushed;
In depths of my own soul, the wreck
Of hope lies as in deep-sea sunk.
Who shall the counsels of the sea,
Its awe sublime unloose? Who shall
Read clear my spirit and my soul?
Unless it be a Poet--no man!
Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (No, I'm not Byron; I am, yet by Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Never Stoop, Neela Nath
- Eating Out At The Elephant Bar, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Road To The Moon, Neela Nath
- Worry not, my dear, gajanan mishra
- The Onlys, douglas scotney
- First Impressions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Is there any thing called death?, gajanan mishra
- Hiding In Daylight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My First Day, Ejalonibu Abraham
- Oh Stranger, Liilia Talts Morrison