Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov
A lonely sail is flashing white
Amdist the blue mist of the sea!...
What does it seek in foreign lands?
What did it leave behind at home?..
Waves heave, wind whistles,
The mast, it bends and creaks...
Alas, it seeks not happiness
Nor happiness does it escape!
Below, a current azure bright,
Above, a golden ray of sun...
Rebellious, it seeks out a storm
As if in storms it could find peace!
Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sail by Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Walter de la Mare
(1873 - 1958)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Minor Bird, Robert Frost
- We lose—because we win, Emily Dickinson
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- My Parents, V P Mahur
- Poor Little Tree, Leong Ming Loong
- Wish You Were Here, Eugene Latumbo
- કોઈ પણ બહાને koi pan, hasmukh amathalal
- Observation, Hans Raj Sharma
- MY CUSTOM, SirLalianMwittah Nyalali
- ANOKHA YEH DUNIYA KA MELA, Om Chawla
- The 4th day of Christmas, mai venn
- a hero, Cee Bea
- Never think again, hasmukh amathalal