Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov
A lonely sail is flashing white
Amdist the blue mist of the sea!...
What does it seek in foreign lands?
What did it leave behind at home?..
Waves heave, wind whistles,
The mast, it bends and creaks...
Alas, it seeks not happiness
Nor happiness does it escape!
Below, a current azure bright,
Above, a golden ray of sun...
Rebellious, it seeks out a storm
As if in storms it could find peace!
Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sail by Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov )
- The Absurd Nightmare, Jasbir Chatterjee
- Will You Read My Poem, Sir?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Repair a net, Trong Phan
- Jayanta Mahahpatra As An Image-maker, A .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- hindi haiku ghazal chaand, S.D. TIWARI
- Who Really Cares? Does Anything Matter?, Mr. Nobody
- Jashn manaao, Aftab Alam
- Poetry Is Where You Find It X, Frank Avon
- Happiness Is..., Arno Le Roux
- I Never Travelled Alone, Akhtar Jawad
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)