No Store Bought Dress
Wind the bobbin. Let it spin.
My mama makes the dress I’m in.
She measures me from head to toe,
Cuts the material and starts to sew.
I’ve never worn a store bought dress.
I wish I had I do confess.
The kids at school like my clothes.
“Where’d you get them? ” No one knows.
I do not tell them lest they frown.
They still persist. I say “ a store uptown.”
Our doorbell rings. My mama’s at the door.
“Where do you get her clothes? In what store? ”
I cringe when I hear my mama reply
“I made them myself.” I start to cry.
I wipe my tears so mama can’t see.
She looks at me so tenderly.
These dresses were sewn with love for me.
Now that mama’s gone I’ve kept 2 or 3.
They’re stained with tears that I have cried.
I now understand they were stitched with pride.
Edwina Reizer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (No Store Bought Dress by Edwina Reizer )
- My broken heart Transcends, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Red face, Emmanuel George Cefai
- There be a whole civilization, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Under the Flag of Civilization, Emmanuel George Cefai
- United in flying, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Poet Seer in parable., Emmanuel George Cefai
- There was a Poet Seer and the people gat.., Emmanuel George Cefai
- We are meant, hasmukh amathalal
- I Dare Not To Tell You., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Amritpaan, ramesh rai
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- ' Emeralds And Black Diamon.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- ' In This Autumn Of The Yea.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
(A Collection of Select Works...)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Udiah (witness to Yah)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)