Antarah (Antar) Ibn Shaddad
O, dwellings tell me; where your inhabitants are going?
And to where their cameleers proceed along or halting?
Yesterday thy place showed sociable deer played joyfully
.But today the craws caw instead of them gloomily.
O, Ablah's dwelling where Ablah's tribe is camped.
After the camels had conveyed them far away and vanished.
All pigeons cooed after the people had departed.
As well as the Ben-oil tree due to its misery had cried.
The essence of each homeland is the souls of its inhabitance
.If they went away, the bodies will cry them in variance.
O, fellow ask Ablah's verdured locations on the wilderness display.
Be witty if you ask! Does the place have any tongue to reply?
O, Ablah the reunion had lasted several delicious nights
Followed by the darken days which overcast the shining lights.
If only the dwelling have the choice to answer!
Where are people settled later?
O, bird that slept its night crying about its fellows was 'grieved
'Did not know what the matter is! Only it is bewildered.
If you were as me, no longer would you pride about your colourful shape
.Yet the branches have not shaken to you otherwise you cannot leap.
Hardly you can find lover whose heart is peaceful
.Since he suffers the ardent love, his heart is sorrowful.
O, bird borrows me your wing and I give you my tears instead
.Even if I die, the tears still shed without stopping indeed.
Therefore, I could fly to Abla asking about her place
If the flying were possible, I would prove this case
Antarah (Antar) Ibn Shaddad's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (O, dwellings tell me; where your inhabitants are going? by Antarah (Antar) Ibn Shaddad )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- When the Heart Wonders, Momiji Halo
- > You >, Aparna Chatterjee
- The, Aparna Chatterjee
- With the truth, gajanan mishra
- अब भूल जाना है दिल की सुनना - ab bhul ja.., yashovardhan kulkarni
- Himself a PoetSittng, Daniel Brick
- Losing the Touch, Kim Barney
- [ABC]Watch Pretty Little Liars Season 5 .., Renz Barns
- Australia Day - 26 January 2015, Danny Draper
- Elope, Salleh Chowdhury