Chibueze Oscar Osuji
Of A Hemlock Drink
Two friends had sat lonely along-
The tavern liquid sprinkled floor
There they were humming an old song,
One was rich and the other poor,
With a drink deep in alkanone
Merrily they drank one by one;
The poor had sat whence shown the sun
So he mask'd his face with mirth, - -gone.
They brought out a troubling subject
The one youths call 'truth or dare'
So it was known where th' rich object-
Or objects of wealth: precious stones,
Money, and all the wealthy ones;
Where hidd'n 'neath an orchard tree there.
While they merry with the sun ray,
I saw the poor look th' other way
He put some little hemlock t' sink
All the way down 'ffusing their drink.
Suddenly, the rich gasp'd in shock
To the orchard tree the poor went
With a hoe he stoop'd and bent,
Th' poor dug out, a bag of hemlock.
Chibueze Oscar Osuji's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Of A Hemlock Drink by Chibueze Oscar Osuji )
- Teacher Yaser Nadeem Sari, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- How Are You Hittin' It?, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- The Forsaken Tradition, ALEX OGOH
- The different images in life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- India To Vow, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- A Touch of Fall, Rhonda Trull
- YEN, Gina Borrebach
- Geleefd, geliefd, verzonken, Madrason writer
- That coming Fall, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Set of Compromises, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Lilly Emery