On Valentine's Day
Some chocolates on Valentine,
and later on, a bit of wine.
A bunch of rare exotic flowers
to brighten up the evening hours.
And worry not, the stars will shine.
Forgotten are the many days
on which you had, in countless ways
seen her for granted by the Gods
what did you reckon were the odds
that she would think you needed praise?
And if you are not nearly blind
you'll think of Valentine's and find
that all the other days were cloudy
you didn't even tell her 'howdy'
and yet, on Valentine's you're kind.
May I suggest you change your style?
and always spend a longer while
and kiss her on her lovely lips
and hug her tight around the ribs
and walk with her your common mile.
The chocolate, flowers and the wine
and even stars, so bright, that shine
can in their own mysterious ways
be in reserve for special days
But daily kisses would be fine.
Herbert Nehrlich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (On Valentine's Day by Herbert Nehrlich )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Wishes Granted, Bill Cantrell
- Killer instinct mind, Mark Heathcote
- Book Condition: (Fairest of the) Fair, mary douglas
- It's The Fairy Queen Out Of Sight In Pal.., mary douglas
- *VII*- To Love, Leslie Guylee Cron
- Every Man Remembered!, Denis Martindale
- White Frosted Cake Viewed At Ages 6 and 7, mary douglas
- Imprimatura, mary douglas
- What Catfish Is For - Meditation In Caro.., Warren Falcon
- Forgotten Waltz No.2 (After Liszt), mary douglas