On Valentine's Day
Some chocolates on Valentine,
and later on, a bit of wine.
A bunch of rare exotic flowers
to brighten up the evening hours.
And worry not, the stars will shine.
Forgotten are the many days
on which you had, in countless ways
seen her for granted by the Gods
what did you reckon were the odds
that she would think you needed praise?
And if you are not nearly blind
you'll think of Valentine's and find
that all the other days were cloudy
you didn't even tell her 'howdy'
and yet, on Valentine's you're kind.
May I suggest you change your style?
and always spend a longer while
and kiss her on her lovely lips
and hug her tight around the ribs
and walk with her your common mile.
The chocolate, flowers and the wine
and even stars, so bright, that shine
can in their own mysterious ways
be in reserve for special days
But daily kisses would be fine.
Herbert Nehrlich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (On Valentine's Day by Herbert Nehrlich )
- Sa hagupit ni Yolanda, nagkabuhol-buhol, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- At Nights, Madrason writer
- Trajectorya ng masuyong hampas-lupa, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- falling down a well, well, you pushed me, Mandolyn ...
- Indeed, george albot
- Poets, Do You Agree?, Sandra Feldman
- broad boy souffle, derrick foster
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #3, Brian Johnston
- Steps Of Purpose, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Whispers Of Ancient Parables, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)