He pulled the trigger
on that noisy morning
in the Bunker of Berlin.
The pages of Mein Kampf,
just briefly soaked
were used to start
the fire that would mark
the end of an epoch
that had, astonishingly, given
birth to itself in 1928.
When a fanatic says a word
of hatred or of utter bigotry,
one must believe, as if it were HIS word
or be forever in the net of rank complicity.
So, he is dead and gone
but something ugly thrives,
it is called Hitlerism.
And it has spread to reach
all corners of a peace-less globe.
It dresses in the clothes of any emperor
and wears the mask of true benevolence.
Perhaps the answer is to close one's eyes
and listen to the music of oblivion.
Herbert Nehrlich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (........ism by Herbert Nehrlich )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- More Of The Different, John deVries
- Speak about love, hasmukh amathalal
- The Petrichor, Poet Akinwemimo Idris
- Its outcome, hasmukh amathalal
- Morning, Victor Cruickshank
- unforgettable circumstance!, Steve Jackson
- A song lyric on a soft sorrow!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Leaving You, John deVries
- Bednight, Victor Cruickshank
- Utterly Lovely, John deVries