Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
One Such As You
I have felt this tug before
On my heart.
I have fought this war of wars
Against the intrusion
Of one so gentle as you...
I have turned my back before,
Yet wanting more and more
To be wrapped in the embrace
Of one such as you,
Hands out stretched with
No promises except for this
Day...minute by minute.
No time for lies.
We must speak not of love, must not
Question our being together
As others pull at us,
Not knowing what we need.
Let us feed each other tender
Gorge each other with embraces that
Feed our starving hearts...
Yes, I have been on this road before,
Where the signs read,
Remove all blinders,
You are headed for a fall!
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One Such As You by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
- 경산(경산) ANMA》０１０ ４８６７ ７５８２《경산(경산) ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 구미 ANMA (ANMA) ☏０１０♭４８６７♭７５８２●구미 MASSAJE, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 구미(구미) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘구미 MASSAJE, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 구미 MASSAJE⊙０１０◈４８３１◈３２１１⊙구미 ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 구미 ANMA¿０１０¿５９３３¿０４３７¿구미 ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 구미 ANMA MASSAJE 010 ５９４６ ０３７７구미(구미) ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- The Art of Living, Bijay Kant Dubey
- 구미(구미) ANMA》０１０ ４８６７ ７５８２《구미(구미) ANMA, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 대구 ANMA (ANMA) ☏０１０♭４８６７♭７５８２●대구 MASSAJE, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
- 대구(대구) ANMA℡０１０↘２１７８↘９５０５↘대구 MASSAJE, sdfg wgwq weqwsf
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Fine Days, Orhan Veli Kanik
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The House of My Childhood, Dilip Chitre
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
James Russell Lowell
(22 February 1819 – 12 August 1891)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)