Thomas Edward Brown
As I was carving images from clouds,
And tinting them with soft ethereal dyes
Pressed from the pulp of dreams, one comes, and cries:--
"Forbear!" and all my heaven with gloom enshrouds.
"Forbear!" Thou hast no tools wherewith to essay
The delicate waves of that elusive grain:
Wouldst have due recompense of vulgar pain?
The potter's wheel for thee, and some coarse clay!
"So work, if work thou must, O humbly skilled!
Thou hast not known the Master; in thy soul
His spirit moves not with a sweet control;
Thou art outside, and art not of the guild."
Thereat I rose, and from his presence passed,
But, going, murmured:--"To the God above,
Who holds my heart, and knows its store of love,
I turn from thee, thou proud iconoclast."
Then on the shore God stooped to me, and said:--
"He spake the truth: even so the springs are set
That move thy life, nor will they suffer let,
Nor change their scope; else, living, thou wert dead.
"This is thy life: indulge its natural flow,
And carve these forms. They yet may find a place
On shelves for them reserved. In any case,
I bid thee carve them, knowing what I know."
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Opifex by Thomas Edward Brown )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(2 November 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- GlassHouse, Kewayne Wadley
- Lost Angel Mambo, Kewayne Wadley
- Always in hurry, hasmukh amathalal
- @ DOT COM, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..
- Roswell, Michael Webb
- Period recalled, hasmukh amathalal
- The Wizard of Did!, David Lewis Paget
- I rember your words hung still in the air, Brian Kilpatrick
- Highku, Michael Webb
- Faul McCartney, Michael Webb