Thomas Edward Brown
As I was carving images from clouds,
And tinting them with soft ethereal dyes
Pressed from the pulp of dreams, one comes, and cries:--
"Forbear!" and all my heaven with gloom enshrouds.
"Forbear!" Thou hast no tools wherewith to essay
The delicate waves of that elusive grain:
Wouldst have due recompense of vulgar pain?
The potter's wheel for thee, and some coarse clay!
"So work, if work thou must, O humbly skilled!
Thou hast not known the Master; in thy soul
His spirit moves not with a sweet control;
Thou art outside, and art not of the guild."
Thereat I rose, and from his presence passed,
But, going, murmured:--"To the God above,
Who holds my heart, and knows its store of love,
I turn from thee, thou proud iconoclast."
Then on the shore God stooped to me, and said:--
"He spake the truth: even so the springs are set
That move thy life, nor will they suffer let,
Nor change their scope; else, living, thou wert dead.
"This is thy life: indulge its natural flow,
And carve these forms. They yet may find a place
On shelves for them reserved. In any case,
I bid thee carve them, knowing what I know."
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Opifex by Thomas Edward Brown )
- Who will save me, Mustapha Muinah
- The Nigerian Politician, Joseph Ogbonna
- The lonely sun..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Textman, Naveed Khalid
- सिरि मोनथाम, Ronjoy Brahma
- Mother-land I weep for thee, Joseph Ogbonna
- Mother Teresa and I, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- Still Here, silenced work
- A Village Girl, Naveed Khalid
- A Song Of Harp, Naveed Khalid
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Night Thought, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(1886 - 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)