Our Heroes And Heroines
Our heroes and heroines we may love to recall
But do they believe in a fair go for all
If they are xenophobic or racist even in a small way
Any respect to them I for one never will pay.
Our heroes and heroines are gods in our eyes
But are they kind hearted and generous and wise
And do they embrace egalatarianism as a good idea
Or do they secretly believe in inequality?
Our heroes and heroines we greatly admire
But to be better people us do they inspire?
And if to this simple question your answer is no
Your heroes and heroines not worthy to know.
Our heroes and heroines to us may be great
But are they the people we should celebrate
We put them on a pedestal and give them renown
Though some disappoint us and by them we do feel let down.
Our heroes and heroines their praises we may sing
But a greater sense of self worth to us do they bring
Or are they other mortals with flaws we don't see
For some of them do see quite ordinary to me.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our Heroes And Heroines by Francis Duggan )
- In The Blue Hour, Nathalie Handal
- The Day Monsoon Appeared Upon My Eyes, Narayana Raghavan
- Bethlehem, Nathalie Handal
- Maa, sushant jha
- Tonight, Nathalie Handal
- Black Beans, Edward Kofi Louis
- Humble Yourself, Edward Kofi Louis
- Gauravshali Bihar, sushant jha
- Exiled Sentence, Nathalie Handal
- Transcendent Moment, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- nugget, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- bra maidenform, rwetewrt erwtwer
- healthy back bag, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- rwetewrt erwtwer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)