Our Wedding Day
My mind keeps going back today,
To nineteen forty two, our wedding day,
I walked down the aisle, and saw you there,
My heart filled with love, and I made a prayer.
Asking God to make me a good wife to you,
And that from the war, he would bring you safe through,
My prayers were answered, praise be his name,
And my darling, I still love you just the same.
And though the years, have flown since then,
And my thoughts, I can only pen,
For you left a gap, no one else can fill,
When you passed away, my darling Bill.
But no one can rob me, of your great love,
I hope you can see me, from heaven above,
As I say to your picture, "I still love you"
I know you are saying "I love you too".
So I go to your graveside, with a breaking heart,
I wish oh I wish, we didn't have to part,
But the vows that we made, on that day long ago,
Will be with me forever, and ever I know.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our Wedding Day by I. Griffiths )
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- remplaçable, Lubinda Lubinda
- Human Nature, Merton Lee
- Those Moments Of Weakness لحظات الضعف هذه, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Money (Cedi), Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- Off the Rez, Smoky Hoss
- As an emigrant كمهاجر, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Two Little Boats, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- The Golden Swan, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- As a passer-bye, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Love is Blue, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation