Oxford Cheese Ode
The ancient poets ne'er did dream
That Canada was land of cream,
They ne'er imagined it could flow
In this cold land of ice and snow,
Where everything did solid freeze,
They ne'er hoped or looked for cheese.
A few years since our Oxford farms
Were nearly robbed of all their charms,
O'er cropped the weary land grew poor
And nearly barren as a moor,
But now the owners live at ease
Rejoicing in their crop of cheese.
And since they justly treat the soil,
Are well rewarded for their toil,
The land enriched by goodly cows,
Yie'ds plenty now to fill their mows,
Both wheat and barley, oats and peas
But still their greatest boast is cheese.
And you must careful fill your mows
With good provender for your cows,
And in the winter keep them warm,
Protect them safe all time from harm,
For cows do dearly love their ease,
Which doth insure best grade of cheese.
To us it is a glorious theme
To sing of milk and curds and cream,
Were it collected it could float
On its bosom, small steam boat,
Cows numerous as swarm of bees
Are milked in Oxford to make cheese.
James McIntyre's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Oxford Cheese Ode by James McIntyre )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(03 April 1964)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(November 19, 1942)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- Marwari Businessman Father-in-law Want I.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Happiness is not preventive., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Fatal Attraction, Sandra Feldman
- Be a finger of the hand., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- My Typical Village, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I shall love self, hasmukh amathalal
- Keep the thought free., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- I remember, hasmukh amathalal
- On birthday some mend, hasmukh amathalal
- Thou Shakespeare, Abby Bilan