P:The statistician and the poet need each other,
But not yet.
S:You need us now.
Without a theory of probability
To guide you -
P:Not the unguided but the unguarded moments
Are the most beautiful
S:Poetry is measure and measure now is population
All signs signify groupings: we count people.
P:There are nonmeasurable groupings that defy
Time and space and run wild as numbers
S:We call that Brownian motion, stochastic.
P:Stochastic rain, stochastic snow, the populace,
The monkeys who sleep in different groups each night
Unpredictable in the rain forest.
S:I seem to remember that image from the work of Cohen,
A statistician of monkey sleeping groups
P:This is the rain forest and it has no scientists
Only invaders, stripminers, depopulaters
The clever critic made a joke about the word
Depopulater and the sophomores laughed.
S:What you need isn't the apocalypse but the apocalyx
Taking off the green shield of the flower
In whose middle you'll find the new peopling
P:Number may be the sine qua non of lyric
But without number lyric is still lyric
Without number or the space or time it yields it is still lyric
But strip statistics of number and there is nothing
S:There is collective rhythm
P:The next dance then?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (P.S. by Aaron Fogel )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The way of the champion, Alex Adeoye
- Judging A Woman, Randy McClave
- Water and Ink, Carly Hagerty
- feel IT in the hair,, george albot
- Battles above, and Battles below, Lilly Emery
- Philosophy, Nassy Fesharaki
- GOD'S BLESSINGS, Tom Zart
- Emptiness needed, Nalini Chaturvedi
- THE CRIMINALIZING OF LAETRILE, Richard Thripp
- What Can Israel Do It If They Understand.., Bijay Kant Dubey