Let the mothers,
Cook and care in peace.
Let the fathers,
Work and earn in peace.
Let the children,
Study and learn in peace.
Let the Doctors and teachers,
Heal and teach in peace.
Let the dancers and actors,
Dance and act in peace.
Let the painters and sculptors,
Paint and sculpt in peace
Let the shops and the vendors,
Sell and buy in peace
Let the offices and restaurants,
Toil and feed in peace.
Let the laborers work hard,
And earn their bread in peace.
Let the lovers, love,
And idle away their time in peace.
Let the scholars and scientists,
Study and discover in peace.
Let the musical hustle-bustle of city life,
Be, not numbed by terror and grief.
Let my city and my country,
Sleep and wake in peace.
And, may I dare to ask the fanatics,
What has religion, to do with all of these?
maitreyee joshi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (PEACE by maitreyee joshi )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- The Sun And The Moon, Pijush Biswas
- Mistletoe, Walter de la Mare
Poem of the Day
- My Father, Sahra Hussein
- Crime against humanity (a prose poem), paul bamberger
- Serenity Later Prayer, Joseph DeMarco
- starlings display team, lee fones
- Extinction is Forever, Joseph DeMarco
- What Is Poetry To Adil?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Sentiment, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- There was no Sound, Lawrence Beck
- Lover's Line, Slim Jay
- जीवन की सच्चाई : (The Truth Of Life), Mukul Kumawat