Percy French (1854-1920}
He penned so many great songs in his great writing prime
'Paddy Reilly' and 'McBreens Heifer' songs that live on in time
Percy French of Cloonyquin in Roscommon was a poetic great
And the beauty he created does not have a use by date.
Perhaps his best known song of all is Abdulla Bulbul Ameer
Though The Mountains of Mourne is one of his that I do love to hear
And as well of course 'There Michael' and Phil the fluters ball
His memorable songs now old time ballads who could not wish to recall.
Shlatery's Mounted Fut and Eileen Oge the list goes on and on
And though their great creator to the reaper has long gone
His memorable songs and music will never ever die
His legacy his genius for others to enjoy.
And add to the list of the great songs Andy McElroe
Of the poet who died in nineteen twenty more than eighty years ago
If you've not heard of his songs so little of life you know
In his life he was a legend and in death his legend grow.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Percy French (1854-1920} by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Burying His Own, Masereka Amos
- the life ring doesn't fit, Mandolyn ...
- Unspoken Harmony, F. J. Thomas
- 1969, Angela Khristin Brown
- Haiku: Lessons Taught To Me By Women, Brian Johnston
- 42, Angela Khristin Brown
- Marvin Gaye, Angela Khristin Brown
- Martin Luther King Jr., Angela Khristin Brown
- 3 A.M.... wishing I was coming down, Midnights Voice
- Street Culture, Angela Khristin Brown