Teddy Roosevelt thought football
Had become too unsportsmanlike,
A pack of wolves on a rag doll.
Fatality from a gang strike.
The Rough Rider thought 'twas too rough,
And needed rules to make the game
Make body and character tough,
Not an event to kill and maim.
So Teddy told the football folk
To make the players be good sports,
Or football would be banned - no joke!
So rules were set of play nice sorts.
On grass, football should be played nice.
Hockey - let there be blood on ice.
Ima Ryma's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Play Nice by Ima Ryma )
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
- My Grandmother Washes Her Feet in the Si.., Mohja Kahf
- Joan Rivers, Ima Ryma
- First October Twentieth Fourteen, Tony Adah
- تحية طيبة, خليل مردم بك
- Happy Writer, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- هذا وربك مثوى كل إنسان, خليل مردم بك
Poem of the Day
(July 15 1964)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Viggo Stuckenberg
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- Heather Burns