One cannot stay on the summit forever -
One has to come down again.
So why bother in the first place? Just this.
What is above knows what is below -
But what is below does not know what is above
One climb, one sees-
One descends and sees no longer
But one has seen!
There is an art of conducting one's self in
The lower regions by the memory of
What one saw higher up.
When one can no longer see,
One does at least still know.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Poem by Rene Daumal )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(21 July 1899 - 2 July 1961)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- My Classroom, shivani pillai
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Remember, Christina Georgina Rossetti
Poem of the Day
- A New Year, Electric Lady
- Antique., RAJ VIKRAM
- Belated', george albot
- Moment, Stratis Havarti
- NDFB, Pankazz koirala Upadhayaya
- Youth is remembered, hasmukh amathalal
- Fidelity, RAJ VIKRAM
- आलम दुसरा था.aalam dusraa thaa, hasmukh amathalal
- Fabrication of Success, Breanni McDuffey
- No base, hasmukh amathalal