Poets to Come
POETS to come! orators, singers, musicians to come!
Not to-day is to justify me, and answer what I am for;
But you, a new brood, native, athletic, continental, greater than
Arouse! Arouse--for you must justify me--you must answer.
I myself but write one or two indicative words for the future,
I but advance a moment, only to wheel and hurry back in the darkness.
I am a man who, sauntering along, without fully stopping, turns a
casual look upon you, and then averts his face,
Leaving it to you to prove and define it,
Expecting the main things from you.
Walt Whitman's Other Poems
Read poems about / on: future
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Poets to Come by Walt Whitman )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Uphill Fight, Maverick Jones
- I am Palestine, RiRi S...
- coasting on lucid language, Mandolyn Davidson
- गोरबोनि देँखो, Ronjoy Brahma
- grenadier guards, lee fones
- I was not that lucky, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- the jar has more than wasps, Mandolyn Davidson
- A prayer to my Pagli..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Swabby Ship Shanty, Samantha Pearson
- In Praise of Nobility (Sixteen), Rubaba Mmahajia Rahma Sabtiu