Portrait Of Father Vichenchos
Grandpa, you are above us,
Over the sofa.
And when I move,
Your eyes seem to follow..
I carry with me
That coin from Venice
You were holding,
When you died..
My heart moves,
When I look at you,
And I am five again,
In your church.
Jesus looks upon me,
And silver Saints rise
Behind the altar.
Your hand breaks the bread
And your singing somehow fills me
Like the incense you deliver..
Later, when you lift me,
It is my touch,
That sends the music of chimes
Even to the streets below.
At dinner, holding me,
You call me “baby boy, ”
And let fall a handful of coins
Upon the floor.
To make you laugh,
I scramble for them,
And your love
Washes over me,
And your faith
Fills the room,
Like the meal
We are about to receive.
From that time, there is a distance..
Yet, your calm face shines down
Like the distant star
Mariners reckon by
To take their vessels home.
Dennis Lambert's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Portrait Of Father Vichenchos by Dennis Lambert )
- There Is Nothing But Darkness, Ronell Warren Alman
- Unpopped Corn Kernals and Cold Hearts..., Monk E. Biz
- The Full Moon, Vigna Mukund
- Adrenaline is my Mistress, Hayley Lewis
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.33, Monk E. Biz
- Incarnation, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Eternal creation, ramesh rai
- Lomp doch fijn besnaard 2, Madrason writer
- Treasured days..., David Lessard
- The body of my Temple lays unswept;, David McLansky
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)