This book is not about heroes. English Poetry is not yet fit to speak
of them. Nor is it about deeds or lands, nor anything about glory, honour,
dominion or power,
Above all, this book is not concerned with Poetry.
The subject of it is War, and the pity of War.
The Poetry is in the pity.
Yet these elegies are not to this generation,
This is in no sense consolatory.
They may be to the next.
All the poet can do to-day is to warn.
That is why the true Poets must be truthful.
If I thought the letter of this book would last,
I might have used proper names; but if the spirit of it survives Prussia, --
my ambition and those names will be content; for they will have
achieved themselves fresher fields than Flanders.
Wilfred Owen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Preface by Wilfred Owen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- City Of Abomination, John Ugolo Umah
- History Of Death!, John Ugolo Umah
- Sweet Misery, Monica Shs
- lavender and roadkill, Ben Paynter
- Is mother universal, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Not Yet, I Am Krakatoa
- दङ आंहा सिमां, Ronjoy Brahma
- He Was Who He Was, Frieda Risvold
- CPI(M) Comrades & Cadres, The Muscle-men, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The CPI(M) Only Knows Its Men, Only See.., Bijay Kant Dubey