Your eyes flutter
Of birds in flight)
Your pursed mouth;
A waving sunflower
Arrested by the startled wind.
So many intertwined stems
Of impaling thorn
And scarlet rose petal
Bind our souls,
Bewitch our melded bodies
Border and etch
The shadow lands
Of unrepentant dreams
We bleed too easily
Against the jagged shards
Of our sleeping self-knowledge.
So much cost to reckon up.
Who could ever pay the price?
If I could capture your sorrow,
Your quicksilver smile
In a glittering moment
Of evanescent time
Would I know how to
Mark the measure
Of your cascading tears?
Press my hand...
Vanquish the attenuated
Ghosts of my fear.
I will follow you
As you go before me.
I will not look back.
I promise you.
Barry Blander's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Promise by Barry Blander )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Henry David Thoreau
(12 July 1817 – 6 May 1862)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Minor Bird, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Moon, Henry David Thoreau
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- नशा है तुम्हारा, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- I'm my Messiah, Light Mark
- गणतंत्र नहीं गुणतंत्र चाहिये, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- Transportational Hazards, derrick foster
- अमीबा से ह्युमन तक, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- Crazy For You, Gillu Rahul
- दिल में तुम्हे रखा है, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- खुदा मांग ले, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- ओ घघरी, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- nine times i tried to pinch his wink, Mandolyn ...