Trapped in a dark and clammy hole,
Pain lanced through heart and soul,
No rest, no peace, no comfort found
In walls or ceiling, air or ground.
I gnashed my teeth and ripped my hair,
Called for you, but you weren’t there.
I screamed and cursed, clawed my face,
But you had vanished without a trace.
“You promised! ” I cried, and wept and wailed.
I’d called for help – but you had failed.
In times of joy you’d walked so near,
But when pain struck you disappeared.
I ranted, I stormed, I clenched my fists,
I threatened, I lectured, and I hissed.
Then – weary and broken – I collapsed in tears,
Then – “Are you finished? ” you whispered in my ear.
And I surrendered without a word.
Too loud I’d screamed, so never heard
Your calm assurance, your soft promise
You’re still there when all’s amiss.
Then I lifted my eyes and saw your hand
Open a door to a sunlight land
And heard, “Enter, child, a promise kept.”
And I went in, and there I slept.
Sophia White's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Promise Kept by Sophia White )
- ये कैसा शहर है, Aftab Alam
- कुछ कह नहीं पाता, Aftab Alam
- Jadavpur University Campus A Heaven For .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Friends and foes, gajanan mishra
- Out There, Fatima Nusairat
- Immortal world, gajanan mishra
- Soulful smile, ramesh rai
- Perfection, Donnie Wolff
- Defiled, gajanan mishra
- Be It Trivial And Mundane, Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)