Trapped in a dark and clammy hole,
Pain lanced through heart and soul,
No rest, no peace, no comfort found
In walls or ceiling, air or ground.
I gnashed my teeth and ripped my hair,
Called for you, but you weren’t there.
I screamed and cursed, clawed my face,
But you had vanished without a trace.
“You promised! ” I cried, and wept and wailed.
I’d called for help – but you had failed.
In times of joy you’d walked so near,
But when pain struck you disappeared.
I ranted, I stormed, I clenched my fists,
I threatened, I lectured, and I hissed.
Then – weary and broken – I collapsed in tears,
Then – “Are you finished? ” you whispered in my ear.
And I surrendered without a word.
Too loud I’d screamed, so never heard
Your calm assurance, your soft promise
You’re still there when all’s amiss.
Then I lifted my eyes and saw your hand
Open a door to a sunlight land
And heard, “Enter, child, a promise kept.”
And I went in, and there I slept.
Sophia White's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Promise Kept by Sophia White )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Passionate Love, Suresh Dogra
- Let's Tie The Knot, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- Expression ecrite, Atef Ayadi
- Give Thanks, Charles Jagongo
- Bones, Casey Renee Kiser
- WE WERE ONCE, Jon Alan
- A Mother's Loneliness, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- God ia not all macho, kalemeera collins
- My mom, Meenakshi Hariharan
- 2006 Tsunami, Meenakshi Hariharan