Christina Georgina Rossetti
Promises Like Pie-Crust
Promise me no promises,
So will I not promise you:
Keep we both our liberties,
Never false and never true:
Let us hold the die uncast,
Free to come as free to go:
For I cannot know your past,
And of mine what can you know?
You, so warm, may once have been
Warmer towards another one:
I, so cold, may once have seen
Sunlight, once have felt the sun:
Who shall show us if it was
Thus indeed in time of old?
Fades the image from the glass,
And the fortune is not told.
If you promised, you might grieve
For lost liberty again:
If I promised, I believe
I should fret to break the chain.
Let us be the friends we were,
Nothing more but nothing less:
Many thrive on frugal fare
Who would perish of excess.
Christina Georgina Rossetti's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Promises Like Pie-Crust by Christina Georgina Rossetti )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The Inevitable Fade, Joseph Owen Williams
- Dream Among Dreams, Tony Adah
- Temptation, Joseph Owen Williams
- Old Settler's Song, Kate Harrington
- omschrijving van poezie, co the skipper
- of Peace and Light~, Monk E. Biz
- Twenty - One, Kate Harrington
- Whitewashed Sepulchres, Babatunde Aremu
- The Eastern Star, Kate Harrington
- Foolish Ghosts, Pijush Biswas