Its day time, but the moon has cometh forth,
Glooming and shining like its still midnight.
Torchlights were gathered to bring back the sun,
But the moon weakened all its energy.
Candlesticks were lit to form a sun,
And the moon burnt them all to liquid wax.
Rockets were launched to move the moon,
But the moon told us to have it back.
We worked in her light and slept an hour,
For light was very far away from us.
One night, the smiling moon frowned,
And shaked Africa that she may fall.
The moon rebuked we without her colour,
And we feed only when the moon throws food.
Again the moon forced us to sound like her,
To become round, bright and live just like her.
Alas! A part of Africa arose,
And told the moon to leave it alone.
Thence-forward others began to follow.
Are these people so brave and courageous?
The question went on in her mind,
As Nelson Mandela fought on.
For his people he was locked up,
And for him, the blacks fought on.
The man who only cared about others,
And never mentioned the word 'I'.
To survive we need a card which expires.
We, like goods have expiry date.
Those with the moon's colour were ruling,
And needs no card for they were not human.
The moon tried to take our gold and silvers,
But Nnamdi Azikiwe was smart enough.
The moon tried to make us slave forever
But Obafemi Awolowo said no.
The moon tried to destroy our culture,
But Tafawa Balewa opposed them.
The fight of Martin Luther King Jr,
And others made the moon sick and then,
After so many innocent bloodshed,
AFRICA became INDEPENDENT.
Toheeb Tiamiyu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Pyrrhic Victory by Toheeb Tiamiyu )
- Poem on Sensibility, Robert Burns
- Epigram—The True Loyal Natives, Robert Burns
- Epitaph on John Dove, Innkeeper, Robert Burns
- The Nameless Mood of a Home-Maker, Ananta Madhavan
- Life through a colleague's eyes, Jeremy Horsford
- The Vision, Robert Burns
- Little Girl's Talk - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- The Singer, Clara Keiper
- আর কত?, Md. Ziaul Haque
- কৈশোরে সাপের খেলা দেখা, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- A Lover's Complaint, William Shakespeare
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)