Race Course Hollows
We lay in the hollow
by the race-course copse
waiting the harvest moon
as other lovers take their places
in grassy circles like our own.
She was pretty, brunette, tall
lovely legs and thighs
brown green eyes tempting breasts.
talked of music.....
we both sang, often as duet
read the same white pages,
books, Yorkshire churches
cycle rides and country-lanes;
but not here to talk.
Love was in the breeze
intoxicating evening air
the night warm,
murmurs in the dark
rose from other hollows,
late walkers with their dogs
sneaked away not to spoil our fun,
recalling youthful memories,
on their way to home.
We watched them climb the style
alone we used the moon
kissed, breathing scents of skin in love,
forgotten now the country-lanes
Cycle rides and Yorkshire churches
we knew the way by heart,
every turning now explored
been this way before.....
what was round the corner.
So lost ourselves for one brief hour...
all the things that lovers do.
A long reluctant walk to home
glowing in the dark.....
separate beds and houses.
parents sitting by the fire
sneak up the stairs.
shyly say good-night..
smiles beside the fire.
John Rickell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Race Course Hollows by John Rickell )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- My Struggle, Michael P. McParland
- Nervous Wreck, Michael P. McParland
- Bäume, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Infinity Divided By Zero, Michael P. McParland
- Inner nightmare, iluneos periform
- Light, Isaac Maliya
- Trapped in a dewy glistening web, Mark Heathcote
- Three Days Before Christmas, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Insanity, Michael P. McParland
- Invisible, Michael P. McParland