When letting go of vain understanding,
One begins to attain understanding.
In the desert, a sea of sand stretches;
Wind bestows to each grain understanding.
If one will not wake from shifting dreams,
What good is it to gain understanding?
A rolling ocean of flourishing pines
Rose from earth to sustain understanding.
When one holds a whisk or a staff upright,
Speaking will only stain understanding.
When lightning flashes across a dry night,
The sky is soon to rain understanding.
What hinders the mind will hinder all else;
Why struggle to retain understanding?
Rivers can swell till, flooding, they burst
Banks not meant to contain understanding.
All seekers find the way in due time,
And then release inane understanding.
Gray grasses bend in myriad patterns;
They yield rather than strain, understanding.
The traveler on the road to heaven
Is filled with an arcane understanding.
The rosebud opens itself to the sky,
Not wanting to restrain understanding.
Be still, Zahhar, there is peace in the wind;
Never prize nor disdain understanding.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Published in Muse Apprentice Guild in Fall of 2003.
This is a ghazal poem.
Comments about this poem (Release by Erin Thomas )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- January’s Sad Refrain, Teresa Dearing
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Spring in the Holy Land, Nero CaroZiv
- A Man Of Different Charectarestics, Musa Ndhlovu
- Ever Hike in Hope, Pintu Mahakul
- The Past, Eugene Latumbo
- Lovely Hand, Pintu Mahakul
- There you are, Cee Bea
- Memories:, Gaurav Pandey
- Loneliness, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Christmas Tree, Zoila T. Flores
- I Did Not Ask Him, But Said He, I Am A M.., Bijay Kant Dubey