Robert William Service
Reptiles And Roses
So crystal clear it is to me
That when I die I cease to be,
All else seems sheer stupidity.
All promises of Paradise
Are wishful thinking, preacher's lies,
Dogmatic dust flung in our eyes.
Yea, life's immortal, swift it flows
Alike in reptile and in rose,
But as it comes, so too it goes.
Dead roses will not bloom again;
The lifeless lizard writhes in vain;
Cups shattered will not hold champagne.
Our breath is brief, and being so
Let's make our heaven here below,
And lavish kindness as we go.
For when dour Death shall close the door
There will be darkness evermore;
So let us kneel in prayer before
Each day and let our duty be
To fight that mankind may be free . . .
There is our Immortality.
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Reptiles And Roses by Robert William Service )
Did you read them?
- Las Mariposas (the Butterflies), John F. McCullagh
- Hindsight coloured, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Practise dispassion., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Reichsbank Gold, Paul Hartal
- Ferguson Grand Jury, Is It Poetry
- The lost bliss, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Sonnet: Christmas,2014(Advance Greetings), Dr John Celes
- Thread of Communication, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Harold Shipman's Crime, Jacob Mikael Matuszczak
- Thank You KP, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Lament for Zenocrate, Christopher Marlowe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)