REQUEST OF A MANCHU KING
REQUEST OF A MANCHU KING
by Burgess Needle
The honest eye of Asia’s sun revealed
a Chinese theater troupe encamped
stained costumes, ragged
sets and a forlorn actor dressed
in his actual, pock-marked skin.
Evening and colored gels conspired to clean and press
costumes, add glitter to plastic jewelry,
turn sets into a plausible semblance
of an ancient Chinese court and the actor
once seen as depressed into a haughty Manchu king.
The cast ventured on stage, mouthed
their lines in sing-song Chinese dialect.
They saw me in the crowd as a thin, white giant
and paused at my appearance.
The Manchu king stared right at me,
stopped the play’s action, and elicited a roar
of laughter from the crowd when he stuck
out his tongue fearlessly in my direction.
Raising my camera was like a director’s cue
all action froze on stage until the flash
imprinted costumes, set and actors
alike on to one frame of Kodachrome.
Dawn’s uncompromised embrace delivered
the Manchu king back to me as a bald,
short man with a wispy goatee sitting
at my breakfast table requesting a print:
a singular validation of his craft.
Sadly, I explained weeks would pass before
the photos returned from a distant lab.
Do you have an address, I inquired.
He sighed and told me he never knew
the company’s route. Only the owner’s
mistress was privy to such information.
Promise me, he said, if the camera did its trick
and caught the Manchu king on stage,
to let the world know of one actor’s skill.
And your name? I asked.
I am Ling, he replied.
Tell the world about me.
And, so I have.
Burgess Needle's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (REQUEST OF A MANCHU KING by Burgess Needle )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Chosen Path, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I've Killed, Mr. Nobody
- Treasuring Experience, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flair, douglas scotney
- Feel the pain, gajanan mishra
- Inhaling Breaths Of Words, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Where Chants Collide, Richard Jarboe
- SUPER LOVER~~ Michael Mcparland! ! ! !, Mr. Nobody
- Solid Convictions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fallen flower, hasmukh amathalal