Return Of The Lapwing
It's been years don't know how long nor i'll not lie
And that's going back to when i was a boy
When last i saw the wandering bird lapwing
One cold and windy day in early Spring.
With dark wings and white breasts strange type of birds thought i
And i asked old man farmer passing by
What breed of bird are they with cuck on head?
'Why' those are lapwing little boy he said.
And added wise man bent from years of toil
I have not seen these birds for quite some while
And they only come in weather most severe
And strange to see them at this time of year.
So many years gone by since that March day
And mean while old man farmer passed away
And flame of memory rekindle and burn
And brightly glow at migrant birds return.
Their distinct notes peewit, peewit, pee wee
All down those years etched in my memory
But will i too like old man be gone to ground
On the next time that the lapwing call around.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Return Of The Lapwing by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- THE BIRTH LAND, Abhishek Kumar Singh
- Hame Rone ki aadat pad gai, Ahatisham Alam
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.72, Mr. Nobody
- Lovers are Poets and Poets are Lovers, Mr. Nobody
- I dont have to but I love you Blues Song, Dimitri Jagodinski
- Mulder, John Carlos
- I am here to help you, gajanan mishra
- Father, gajanan mishra
- Within The Forest, Brianna SaurusRex
- The Beatles in Auckland, michael walker
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Cullen Bryant
(November 3, 1794 – June 12, 1878)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns