Returning To Hadrian's Wall
>>At the thought's end
The eye, tracing your lineage, falters
Yet Nature is immune tto imperfection
Above the torrent at High Force. Lacunae?
Clear sky at day-end.
I found you out
In the fret of a lost empire
'You made appointments in this decay? '
Phantoms skelter in the broken ditch
Caught up in the bright whins
Hardly bound to summon up
What once was surely made of them.
January Two thousand and twelve
Again the slow limbs stir
Provocation after a year fallow,
Grasping for words to modulate
Between satiety and apprehension
Yet a taut countenance, benign, life-hungry
Re-working the harmonics
Of the day to come
Remains; this last cottage
Too lately lost: footings grazed over
Time-levelled tumuli, too soon displaced
Small raptures in the mindscape.
Who should not find this settled turmoil
More accomodating than declension?
* * *
Freedom for the artisan?
A sense of occasion
Paul HADFIELD's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Returning To Hadrian's Wall by Paul HADFIELD )
- MEP interrogation, Over The Moon
- Whole, Ruta Wuneh
- मेगनआव, Ronjoy Brahma
- ‘Tis permitted Us Nay, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Dilapidated house, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The violin plays, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The palaces of the skies, Emmanuel George Cefai
- There was a buzz at night, Emmanuel George Cefai
- To those sacred Places, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Green Signal, Asit Kumar Sanyal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
(July 15 1964)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)