Toward that sweet nest where I remained though parting,
And where the better part of me still lingers,
Whether the weary sun returns or leaves,
I always spread the wings of my desire.
And still from time to time I blame myself
For never having used device or force
To stay with you, knowing, away from you,
A thousand times a day I die while living.
My doubtful feet were moved by constant hope
That you would follow soon to visit me,
Extend my fleeting life a little longer.
Observe, my lord, the promise you have given:
To come and make these dreary shores alive,
Joyous and loved, and me grateful and happy.
Gaspara Stampa's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Rime 161 by Gaspara Stampa )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- When all the styles be counted, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The stars were rolling, Emmanuel George Cefai
- DUMPSTER 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- When The Soul Sickens, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Diminishing returns, Emmanuel George Cefai
- LONG TERM RELATIONSHIPS 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- Don't Think It Down, Susan Lacovara
- A LITTLE BIT CRAZY 10 WORDS, Beryl Dov
- LOVE VS. SEX 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- What You Create, Susan Lacovara