The lair beyond a secret door
Is nothing I've not seen before
A dirty place of rock and earth
Glowing from a golden hearth.
And on the mantelpiece lies
A little thing of precious size
Atop the mantel's golden sheen
Lies my dead brother's golden ring.
From dust to grime-covered finger
Brother's ring becomes my ringer
And every step I take in life
My brother's ring dispels my strife.
And all the women I do find
Of bodice, bosom, and behind
Quickly cave to my desires
And darkly light their dark fires.
But one night my brother's ring breaks
No more satisfied are my aches
No more joyful are my joy days
For now alone the spirit plays.
Taking darkly to the dark street
I rape and kill then kill and eat
There's nothing left to hold me back
There's no ring keeping me from snack.
My bloody mouth and vicious paws
Are nothing but a creature's claws
And walking through the streets again
I feel my bloodlust and my sin.
Leon Agnew's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ring by Leon Agnew )
- Fill Yourself, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Moving Along Avenues, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Gift, Michael McParland
- Between Silence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Transcending Life On Earth, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Hare And His Wife, Tony Adah
- Pussy So Good, Joseph Rodriguez
- Novel Approaches, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You Are Too Beautiful For Me, Mark Webster
- Living Through Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)