Shelly P. Harrell
I want to run.
Run back to myself.
To the soulful flow of life's collective essence expressed uniquely as me.
I need to run.
Run so that I can breathe.
Run so that I can live.
Run for my life.
I need to run right now-
before it is too late.
I must run.
Run to unearth my buried soul...
Buried under death and grief,
Under shame and guilt,
Under ego and pride.
A soul buried under fear and rage.
But I won't run from the darkness.
For it is only in the darkness that I have seen the light.
I will run.
I will run until the armor hardening my emotions has fallen away,
Until the muzzle that has silenced my voice and my truth has blown away in the wind of my strides,
Until I have ripped from my face the mask of that bourgeoisie stranger who stifles my creativity,
Until I break through the walls separating me from the infinite expression of my love and passion,
Until I have released the chains that keep me enslaved to the past.
I will run until I get my groove back.
I am running.
Not running from,
I am running TO.
Running to liberate all that screams out within me for freedom,
To reconnect with the earth and the sun and the ancestors,
To remember the rhythm of my dance,
To reveal my divine eccentricity.
I am running to reclaim and renew my spirit.
Watch me run.
Watch me run in joyful celebration.
Watch me run in transcendent revelation.
Watch me run in loving liberation.
Yes, I run.
Then I Rise.
Then I will FLY.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Run by Shelly P. Harrell )
- Autumn Season, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- mommy, Josephine Taylor
- Friendly Union, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Your Guardian Angel, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Green Iris, Foster Teegarden
- open the jar, you'll see i'm laughing, Mandolyn ...
- My Affair, Mark Webster
- The Indefinable, Sandra Feldman
- Nothing But A Sweet Sensation, Ronell Warren Alman
- Night Walkers, Olufayo Ezekiel
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)