Shelly P. Harrell
I want to run.
Run back to myself.
To the soulful flow of life's collective essence expressed uniquely as me.
I need to run.
Run so that I can breathe.
Run so that I can live.
Run for my life.
I need to run right now-
before it is too late.
I must run.
Run to unearth my buried soul...
Buried under death and grief,
Under shame and guilt,
Under ego and pride.
A soul buried under fear and rage.
But I won't run from the darkness.
For it is only in the darkness that I have seen the light.
I will run.
I will run until the armor hardening my emotions has fallen away,
Until the muzzle that has silenced my voice and my truth has blown away in the wind of my strides,
Until I have ripped from my face the mask of that bourgeoisie stranger who stifles my creativity,
Until I break through the walls separating me from the infinite expression of my love and passion,
Until I have released the chains that keep me enslaved to the past.
I will run until I get my groove back.
I am running.
Not running from,
I am running TO.
Running to liberate all that screams out within me for freedom,
To reconnect with the earth and the sun and the ancestors,
To remember the rhythm of my dance,
To reveal my divine eccentricity.
I am running to reclaim and renew my spirit.
Watch me run.
Watch me run in joyful celebration.
Watch me run in transcendent revelation.
Watch me run in loving liberation.
Yes, I run.
Then I Rise.
Then I will FLY.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Run by Shelly P. Harrell )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- In This Autumn of The Year, Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Destinations On The River Styx..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- My Eternal Companion, Tushar Ray
- As we so the world, Aftab Alam
- Pinching Solitude, lalitha iyer
- Forgotten, Donald R Wolff JR
- Art of Hug, maria sudibyo
- Don't Brake The Wings, Arno Le Roux
- They Said, Lonnie Hicks
- Taken As Directed., Norman Jin Shyr Wang