When I had no roof I made
Audacity my roof. When I had
No supper my eyes dined.
When I had no eyes I listened.
When I had no ears I thought.
When I had no thought I waited.
When I had no father I made
Care my father. When I had
No mother I embraced order.
When I had no friend I made
Quiet my friend. When I had no
Enemy I opposed my body.
When I had no temple I made
My voice my temple. I have
No priest, my tongue is my choir.
When I have no means fortune
Is my means. When I have
Nothing, death will be my fortune.
Need is my tactic, detachment
Is my strategy. When I had
No lover I courted my sleep.
Robert Pinsky's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Samurai Song by Robert Pinsky )
- Strongest of them all, Priscilla Rose
- I regret that night in Vegas, but I don'.., Mandolyn ...
- The call to shine, Adele Bercich
- MIRROR MIRROR, shannon strauss
- The Time of Nectar, Pintu Mahakul
- MIKE WASN'T HAPPY, shannon strauss
- Read all the narratives, Mark Heathcote
- Splendour, Robin Skyrde
- Am An African, Enyinwa Okechukwu Enyinwa
- Invisible Walls, S. I. Rednow