Save The Wheat
Winds blew a norther, the day was a scorcher.
My job was to skyline during hot weather fine.
Windows I prowled for smoke searching,
while the wind howled and trees were lurching.
Then with fear I spied, the swirling brown
and fire I yelled to husband renown.
With a thump of feet he flew out the door
And yelling in alarm, ‘Phone some help more! ’
The boss was rung, the fire truck started,
this kind of work not for faint-hearted.
Food for the fighters was my chore
while boss’ wife did the drinks more.
Skylining and watching the swirling smoke.
its nearness frightening, my breath did choke!
A knock on the door blackened farmer there,
‘Near the wheat’ he cried snatching the fare.
Prayers did go skyward thick with dark smoke,
fire trucks everywhere for fire beyond a joke.
Unseen by the fighters weary and worn
who couldn’t tell that the sky was torn.
A sudden flash of lightning and crash of thunder
And rain teemed down tearing the fire asunder.
It had just neared the wheat which the rain did miss,
but it poured on the fire with a veritable hiss.
Thankful were the hearts as weary men rested,
this was a fire that God had bested.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Save The Wheat by Colleen O'Grady )
- The Nigerian Politician, Joseph Ogbonna
- The lonely sun..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Textman, Naveed Khalid
- सिरि मोनथाम, Ronjoy Brahma
- Mother-land I weep for thee, Joseph Ogbonna
- Mother Teresa and I, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- Still Here, silenced work
- A Village Girl, Naveed Khalid
- A Song Of Harp, Naveed Khalid
- An African Woman I am... a Blessing or a.., Vivian Muciri
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)