Caught in the act she fears them,
hears their voices
as they drag her like an animal to the slaughterhouse
while her prosecutors pulls her by the hair
to the pebbled courtyard
where she stumbles and she is naked
and she knows that she is guilty
while her heart pounds anxiously in her chest,
uneasily she grasps for air.
Many times she thought
that she came close to be prosecuted
but now she knows betrayal
and death is all that she thinks about;
she tries to hide her nakedness
but in vain
and she is guilty as charged.
Blood pulse through her veins
and she can hear her own heartbeat
in her inner-ear;
silence causes her to look up
and even through the tears
that runs down her cheeks
she does notice no accusers.
Words written in the sand catch her eye
and she struggles to make sense,
her long hair is now loose
and she tries to cover herself with it.
When the cloak covers her,
in bewilderment she looks up
and the hand that reach out to pull her up,
the voice that talks to her is full of kindness:
"Daughter, where are your accusers? "
His eyes is full of love, compassion and understanding
but those eyes look through sin and sinners.
In forgiveness he says to her:
"Go forth and sin no more."
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Scarlet woman by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Wishes Granted, Bill Cantrell
- Killer instinct mind, Mark Heathcote
- Book Condition: (Fairest of the) Fair, mary douglas
- It's The Fairy Queen Out Of Sight In Pal.., mary douglas
- *VII*- To Love, Leslie Guylee Cron
- Every Man Remembered!, Denis Martindale
- White Frosted Cake Viewed At Ages 6 and 7, mary douglas
- Imprimatura, mary douglas
- What Catfish Is For - Meditation In Caro.., Warren Falcon
- Forgotten Waltz No.2 (After Liszt), mary douglas