Robert William Service
A hundred people I employed,
But when they struck for higher pay,
I was so damnably annoyed
I told them they could stay away.
I simply shut my business down;
I closed my doors and locked them out,
And now you'll find all round the town
A lot of idle men about.
Of course I know it is my loss,
And I their point of view can see,
But I must show them I'm the boss,
And any raise must come from ME.
But when they claim it as a right,
And send their Union leaders round,
Why then, by God, I'm out to fight,
Or burn my workshop to the ground.
I've risen from the ranks myself;
By brawn and brain I've made my way.
Had I bet, beered and blown my pelf,
I would have been as poor as they.
Had I wed young to thrift's unheed,
I might have been a toiler now,
With rent to pay and kids to feed,
And bloody sweat upon my brow.
Ah there's the point! "I might have been."
I might have been as peeved as they,
And know what misery can mean,
And ask like them a raise of pay.
I see myself. . . . "The telephone!"
. . . Had I not been so bloody wise -
(A poor old rich man all alone) . . .
"Hullo! Strike's off. I grant the rise."
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Self-Made Man by Robert William Service )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- The Brocades Spilling Out From Your Baza.., mary douglas
- In A Sugared Quiet Lit By Multicoloured .., mary douglas
- Go on freely, gajanan mishra
- Mirror image, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- Weaver Of Waves, Saiom Shriver
- THAT PALM-TREE, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Dune Fringed, Saiom Shriver
- Watery Arms, Saiom Shriver
- Wet With Words, George Egba
- From Chambered Shells, Saiom Shriver