Seven Basic Machines
'First the pulley. With these window-washers haul
themselves up to the tip-top or drop'.
'Yes', she said, with minimal interest. 'Next'.
'Then there's the lever. Useful for prising treasure'.
'Very well, she said, 'but I can't tell you how I try
never to pry'.
'Well, there's the wheel. Often invented, excellent for gliding
singly, in tandem, in trio or more'.
'Of course', said she, 'and number four'?
'Um', I said, starting to perspire,
and giving my brains a wrench-'the plane, if you desire'.
'I've never been inclined. Continue please'.
'The wedge', I said, recalling that
a wedge could not be beaten for
dividing night from day and dog from cat.
'Then there's the screw', I muttered, turning blue.
'Let's come back to that.
'Lever, ah, pulley, plane, wedge, ah, screw, wheel,
What's last'? She thought and thought
and finally calmly cried: 'the high heel'!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Seven Basic Machines by Morgan Michaels )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Lyre RE-UNSTRUNGED, Dwitun Basumatary
- LUMINOUS, Dwitun Basumatary
- La Lunar, Patricia Grantham
- DREAM OF PEACE, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Motion picture, daniel george
- Fallen, daniel george
- The Shadow Of The Wind., Tony Adah
- True Meaning Of Friendship Quote, thumper 786
- Seesaws المراجيح, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- World Leprosy Week, john tiong chunghoo