What is the size of a shadow?
Projecting, quadrupling its sinister size.
At close quarters who knows?
Could be likewise a sea-monster!
Said an old; warty-sage in prose.
Why it’s a serpent, something to conjure-
Up and swallow you down whole!
Cogent! —under your hammocks bed,
Worm like! Said a disparaging vole!
—So what’s to be done?
For an independent; measurement then...
Well, use what you have of your noggin,
Little child—then, take a long-
Introspective, look inside, and then-
Try and decide.
Just as sleep, closes our eyes.
What’s this voids awesomeness,
Nothing..? What’s random about, emptiness?
This vacuums inner movement in space?
In full, perceptiveness,
Prescribed to our inner sleeping eyes?
Ever wakeful is it or just a dream scape?
No bigger or smaller than a shadow.
Appearing and disappearing…
Why do your eyes remind me of the universe?
Having just; exploded with an outer-ring
And a heart still filled, with stunning blackness.
What is this opaque whiteness?
Invisible indivisible glue that surrounds us...
Who is it in those shadows, watchful of me and you!
Mark Heathcote's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shadows by Mark Heathcote )
- Days Gone, Spiritwind Wood
- Spark of a thought, Laxman Rao
- A Judgmental Society, Savino Terrazas
- Right Now, Michael McParland
- Little Mosque, Mohja Kahf
- The creative grit.., Laxman Rao
- Like A Gentle Rain, Spiritwind Wood
- The paradox of becoming a Man, Nancy Handabile
- Quran, The Ways of Ascent, Mohja Kahf
- 'My Persuasion' Over 'Her Coyness'., Prabhat Priyadarshi
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)
Edgar Lee Masters
(23 August 1868 – 5 March 1950)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Victor Marie Hugo
(26 February 1802 – 22 May 1885)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)