Inside my sleeve, I pull out my heart,
handing it to you, 'careful it's fragile,
and easily falls apart.'
Extending your arms, you take the heart in
your tender warm hands.
It falls into a million shattered pieces - on
the floor it lands.
You begin to bend down to pick it up, sorrow and
sadness in your eyes.
Apologies are not enough.
Looking at you with tears in my eyes,
I ask you not to pick up the pieces of a heart
that has fallen apart.
I am the one who needs to pick up the pieces of
my shattered heart - one by one, piece by piece.
I need to put it together again, some how. some way.
Each piece of my heart has a memory so true.
Each piece of my heart has part of you.
You are the one who is leaving to start a new lease on life.
I'll just be here on my knees picking up the pieces of a
heart that feels like it's being pierced with a knife.
All my tears won't keep you near
All my tears won't mend what's not here.
Again I look at you with a whisper in my voice,
The only way my heart will mend and finally be complete,
is if you and I can come together without being discreet.
You see, what we have here and today, helps me face the
world, with a love for you that gives a glow -
but now, my darling, you made a choice.
My heart is on this floor, shattered and broke.
With each piece I pick up -
I need to learn to let go.
destiny tatum's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shattered Pieces by destiny tatum )
- If God Wills Then..., Dr John Celes
- Don't Care, Sara Fielder
- Encounter with a Creature, Kim Barney
- Oh! Drink killed him…, Aftab Alam
- What is business, gajanan mishra
- I Don't Knead Your Love Butt it Would BE.., Mr. Nobody
- Story to tell, hasmukh amathalal
- Why Africa Would Not Bow, Jerome Chukwuemeka Edwin
- Walking With The Master, Heather Burns
- O night, you have so much beauty really, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)