The tiger cubs weren't all that keen
When Winter took its toll,
Recalling Summer months they'd seen
When going for a stroll...
But now white snow had frozen cold,
Dark shadows all around,
To hide life's wonders to behold,
No wonder that they frowned...
When water was their current need,
They still chose to delay,
Cold throats and bellies won't succeed
As if to make their day...
But parents chose to bear such pain,
Their offspring to approve,
Believing life held much to gain,
With future warmth to soothe...
To follow suit and drink as well
Or sit still on the snow?
Despite the fact that time would tell,
The cubs watched water flow...
When fate compelled them to the brink,
The coldest gift to give,
Then one-by-one, each chose to drink,
Another day to live...
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Siberian Shadows'.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Comments about this poem (Siberian Shadows by Denis Martindale )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Gun, Rage'n Curtis
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- The Choice, Edith Nesbit
Poem of the Day
- Break Off From Your Sins II, Edward Kofi Louis
- My First Poem, Emelita C. Smith
- diMinNuTiVe, sEaN nOrTh
- I Am A Boat, Paul Gerard Reed
- Peace#01, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- hav em kill - BIG Chief di$bEliEf, sEaN nOrTh
- We Ate Beans., Tony Adah
- Letting Go, favour ugwumba
- Paw, saw, raw, law!, Edward Kofi Louis
- नोँखौ मोजां मोन्नायल' नङा, Ronjoy Brahma