The tiger cubs weren't all that keen
When Winter took its toll,
Recalling Summer months they'd seen
When going for a stroll...
But now white snow had frozen cold,
Dark shadows all around,
To hide life's wonders to behold,
No wonder that they frowned...
When water was their current need,
They still chose to delay,
Cold throats and bellies won't succeed
As if to make their day...
But parents chose to bear such pain,
Their offspring to approve,
Believing life held much to gain,
With future warmth to soothe...
To follow suit and drink as well
Or sit still on the snow?
Despite the fact that time would tell,
The cubs watched water flow...
When fate compelled them to the brink,
The coldest gift to give,
Then one-by-one, each chose to drink,
Another day to live...
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Siberian Shadows'.
Find more wildlife poems using Google search
for the search phrase Stephen Gayford poetry.
Comments about this poem (Siberian Shadows by Denis Martindale )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Solitary Reaper, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Ode To A Nightingale, John Keats
Poem of the Day
- A language, a race, gajanan mishra
- Reality And Unimagination..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Smile, hafiz qasim
- Soldiers' Living Tomb, Ima Ryma
- Winter In The Wind, Tony Adah
- Barren Moon, Esther Ukeh
- Unrest Soul: Churches After Christ Death, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Weak in Nature, hafiz qasim
- It's Not About Science, Just Satellites..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Expression Eruption: Get out, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche