They say that words can heal the mind,
And words can heal the heart.
But in all of my days
I've found words are the ways
Through which silence plays its part.
Words, it's true, can fill empty air,
They can fill the empty page.
Yet there never is a more moving time,
Than when the actors cease their words and rhymes,
And silence fills the stage.
At this very moment many a man,
Is weeping for silence's sting.
But many a man
With his newborn in hand
Finds silence a beautiful thing.
For my part I have felt them both,
Joy and pain in a silent hour,
But whether silence is a soothing balm,
Or the tempest thund'ring through the calm,
I will never deny its power.
Aidan Clevinger's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Silence by Aidan Clevinger )
- मीडिया, Priyanka Gupta
- The Daughter of the Earth - 19, gajanan mishra
- सीने में आग भरो, Aftab Alam
- Annoyance Generator, Christopher Withers
- The Lass Of Alberry, Julian Mann
- The truant.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- All Is This World, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Feeling Alive, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Reactions To A Poem, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Examinations, abhi mangla
Poem of the Day
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(3rd April 19sixty)