Sterling A. Brown
Slim Greer in Hell
Slim Greer went to heaven;
St. Peter said, "Slim,
You been a right good boy."
An' he winked at him.
"You been travelin' rascal
You kin roam once mo';
Den you come to stay.
"Put dese wings on yo' shoulders,
An' save yo' feet."
Slim grin, and he speak up,
Den Peter say, "Go
To Hell an' see,
All dat is doing, and
Report to me.
"Be sure to remember
How everything go."
Slim say, "I be seein' yuh
On de late watch, bo."
Slim got to cavortin'
Swell as you choose,
Like Lindy in de Spirit
Of St. Louis Blues.
He flew an' he flew,
Till at last he hit
A hangar wid de sign readin'
DIS IS IT.
Den he parked his wings,
An' strolled aroun',
Gittin' used to his feet
On de solid ground.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Slim Greer in Hell by Sterling A. Brown )
- Catch the Moon, Maya Hanson (mye3)
- I Could Not Find My Way Free, Shalom Freedman
- Sailstarred, Sandsifting, Seaweed Script.., Saiom Shriver
- The art of love and affection!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Heaven with the Creator, Althea Marshall Wypyszczak
- Prison diary, Shikdar Waliuzzaman
- Mules, Saiom Shriver
- Abandoned Cocoon, Saiom Shriver
- I would cross, Ruma Chaudhuri
- Sometimes, Mark Webster
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)